TL; DR – I finally understand the importance of stay-stitching the neckline.
Minerva was giving you a digital copy of McCall’s M7969 if you signed up for their newsletter. I really liked the faux-wrap front and the V neckline. I had this gorgeous Liberty print that I thought would make a lovely dress.
Folks, I FUCKED UP.
Look, no one has time to stay-stitch a neckline. At least, I don’t. I didn’t see the point. Everything always turned out fine. And then, well, I added at least an extra 10 inches to the bodice and the neckline. I didn’t take a picture of how RIDICULOUS I looked in the dress, bra hanging out, shoulders falling down, all droopy and misshapen. I tried to fix it at the wrap point, but that would have distorted the bottom.
I took it apart and looked hard at the bodice. I ended up making two rather large shoulder pleats, which didn’t impact the sleeve as it was a drapey sleeve, so just added some structure. I’m still going to need to wear a tank-top underneath it, but at least it is now wearable, as opposed to an absolute disaster.
If I had followed directions, this would have been a really simple and straightforward sew. But I didn’t, I made life harder for myself, and this took way longer than it should have.
I’m pretty proud of myself, actually, though, for finding a way to save the dress. I didn’t want to waste Liberty fabric, so this was a highly motivated save. All in all, it turned out really well. I’m looking forward to the weather not being third winter anymore so I can actually wear it.
One Comment Add yours