Pattern Review: Hannah Dress from Victory Patterns

TL; DR – A well-drafted pattern with well-written instructions is worth it’s weight in gold, there’s nothing more frustrating than pattern companies that aren’t size inclusive, why can’t I learn to follow the fabric recommendations, I really enjoy challenging myself.

When I found the drapey knit dress, I became obsessed with finding dresses with the same kind of set-up with side-bag pockets (bag pockets? Aren’t they all bags? Nevermind…) and drape. I instantly fell in love with the Hannah Dress from Victory Patterns, but the patterns generally aren’t very size-inclusive. According to their measurements, I’m WAY too big to wear their largest size, but the final measurements for the Hannah dress were just right for me, as I don’t necessarily need that much ease because then I look like I’m wearing a tent.

I knew that that back was going to be HARD, so I poked around a little for reviews of the pattern. And I’m going to re-iterate what Sewing and Cocktails says about it: IT IS MAGICAL. I was a little intimidated by all of the markings on the pattern pieces to transfer over to fabric because UGH TOO MANY DETAILS, but everything just aligned PERFECTLY. And the directions were crystal clear, with images that I could actually interpret. This means that the pattern was really well-drafted, and I am here for it! Something this complicated is actually, if not easy, then at least clear and easy to follow, is fantastic.

Kudos, Victory Patterns. PLEASE EXPAND YOUR SIZING.

The pattern is meant for very, very light woven, in large part because by the end, you’re sewing through six layers of fabric at the shoulders with the back wraps. I, of course, chose a heavier suiting woven AND A KNIT PONTE. Why? Because I can’t picture a pattern being sewing in anything other than the marketing images, and they have a black and white one, so I have to make a black and white one.

So the drape could be a little better, because the front panel is stiff (probably will soften after some more washes), and the covered button tab (MY FIRST! IT TOOK ME THREE HOURS! AND IT LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH!) looks weird because it’s not supposed to be made of stretched fabric. And it’s still blue because that how I marked up the fabric with all of the markings needed for the folds and seams and buttons and button holes and…

I feel pretty fucking proud of myself having done this dress successfully. Ok, well, I still have to sew in three buttons, but that’s not a challenge. EVERYTHING else was, though. I don’t know why I keep avoiding doing something with a zipper because, well, if I can do this dress, I can do anything!

Well, almost. I still can’t read the fabric recommendations and translate that into choosing the right fabric. Baby steps.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *